By Vinil and Rachel John
(18 March 2017)
The parameters surrounding the Garden of Eden, in the land of Eden were a lot different than the governing laws of our modern day world. The existence of a firmament above the earth (Genesis 1:71), the theory of Pangaea, i.e., all the land mass that appeared was one big connected land mass (Genesis 1:92) the absence of decay, are but fantasies to our modern scientific minds.
Yet, the Bible affirms these as inexcusable truths. The creation Hymn and the verses that followed, places Adam as a workman, blessed with the gift of discovery. GOD made all the birds and beasts of the air and land, and God commissioned Adam to name them (Genesis 2:193). Adam held the copyright to the animal names so to speak. (Adam was the original father of Taxonomy).
There are about 50 million species of living creatures today and had they all lined up before Adam, in 24 hour day periods, it would have taken Adam over 50 years to have named them all. The task at hand was enormous which was why GOD said “It is not good for a man to be alone” (Genesis 2:184).
Apologist Ravi Zacharias says “It’s strange of GOD to say that of Adam because he was not alone. The TRIUNE GOD was with him.” Yet, Adam was alone in his dominion and his responsibilities, so GOD made ‘Chavah’ or ‘Eve’, the mother of all the living, to be a helpmate to Adam. I believe Eve was a helpmate not in a sense just to tend to him but to help him in having dominion over the earth and in his responsibilities toward tending the garden (Genesis 1:27-285).
Before we address “the gift of Eve,” we’ll address the original sin. GOD tells Adam about the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:16-176) right before HE brings Eve into his life. It is strange to note that the serpent misguided Eve into eating the fruit and it is stranger still that she does not die. Physical death had not crept in , neither had spiritual death after she took a bite.
It was after Adam had a bite that there was the occurrence of spiritual death; for they realized they were no longer clothed (Genesis 3:6-77). The spiritual death, i.e., their inability to walk with GOD had only set in after Adam had a bite.
It was Adam’s bite that drove the nail
on a coffin of wood that wasn’t frail.
It was after Adam’s bite that death, entropy, pain and decadence set in, morbidity had begun and in 930 years after the “bite”, death claimed Adam’s body.
What was created for Eternity
was now marked for Ephemerality.
Animals grew desperate, plants rotted, the earth shriveled up, waters evaporated, land masses submerged, hot magma burst out and the world went into a state of recession. Physicists believe that all of creation is steadily marching into a chaotic downwind to chaos and that the entire known world is shrinking into nothingness.
While not many might refute the preceding lines, the real debate is why these cycles did not start with Eve’s bite!! Why weren’t her eyes opened after her indulgence?
Death had not crept into the world when Eve had the fruit since Adam had not eaten of the fruit yet. Eve was made out of Adam and Adam knew it too for he said, “She is flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone” and since her source of physical origin had not been corrupted yet, a spiritual death had not befallen Eve (hence, she did not feel naked or see Adam as naked).
It was when Adam ate the fruit in disobedience, that a spiritual separation/death washed over them and since Adam was now corrupted, therefore, sin entered that which was made from him and for him and it also entered that which he was made from as well, the very planet we live in.
Paul writes to the Romans (8:19-22, KJV) For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but will be liberated from its bondage to decay.
I believe it all began with the original unintended gift of Eve which was opening a way for death to creep in through the “bond” she shared with Adam and then to the world through their disobedience. But redemption was not far. You see, GOD did create another “Adam”, but not of the earth. This time He created Adam (Jesus) out of Himself inside an Eve (Mary).
Biology explains that while an embryo shares an equal pair of chromosomes from both parents the source of energy for each cell is an organelle called mitochondria; this organelle has genes too. These cells are always from the mother. Since we know that Jesus had no human contribution in his conception, we could rationalize that all his earthly genes were purely Eve’s genes alone.
Jesus is the second and the Last Adam and this time the serpent went directly to the Last Adam to end it all, but Glory be to GOD! This time, our Last Adam refused the fruit, fulfilled the law and retired spiritual separation and death (1 Corinthians 15:228).
Like most losers, the serpent sought to rule out this Last Adam from the roster by His death on the cross; not knowing that, in this act the very laws of nature and reality would be violated and, thereby, called for a fresh start, and a clean state for all mankind.
In Jesus, the first Adam’s curse is removed, Eve’s suffering is done away with and the world is free to reboot back to its former glory (Romans 8:21-229).
My dear friends rejoice, we are now Eves to the perfect Last Adam, and it is from this Adam, we are born again, this time by blood and not bone alone. While we may struggle and wrestle with the darkness of sin, there is no spiritual death for us, for this Last Adam stood His ground and has become a propitiation for all our sins (1 John 2:210). This is the gift, the gift of being Eve.
The gift of Eve may have brought shame and scorn
but through her, perfect progeny the Messiah, was born
for many, this Last Adam was different and forlorn
that with His thorns, turned to dust was scorn
and with the fame of His death, was shame put to rest
This is the gift of Eve, the gift to buy us all back to God’s norm
For HE was not just made for her, but of her too
- Genesis 1:7 – And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which wereunder the firmament from the waters which wereabove the firmament: and it was so (KJV)
- Genesis 1:9 – And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry landappear: and it was so. (KJV)
- Genesis 2:19 – And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought themunto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that wasthe name thereof. (KJV)
- Genesis 2:18 – And the LORD God said, It isnot good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. (KJV)
- Genesis 1:27 – 28 – So God created man in his ownimage, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. (KJV)
- Genesis 2:16 – 17 – And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. (KJV)
- Genesis 3: 6 – 7 – And when the woman saw that the tree wasgood for food, and that it waspleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. (KJV)
- 1 Corinthians 15:22 – For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive (KJV)
- Romans 8: 21 – 22 – Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. (KJV)
- 1 John 2: 2 – And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins ofthe whole world. (KJV)